A Travellerspoint blog

October 16th


semi-overcast 21 °C

With all my bags packed I wished the guys a good week, jumped into Ugo's car and we headed off to Sinalunga. We arrived at the train station early. I purchased my ticket and headed to the cafe for a cafe latte. As I got to the halfway point of my cafe latte Ugo told me that the train that had just turned up was headed to Chuisi, so I dumped the cup on the counter and jumped on board. No sooner had I said goodbye the train pulled out of the station. I arrived at Chuisi at 9:30am. I checked the departures board and went to platform 4 to await the 9:35am train to Rome. After waiting for 20 minutes I went inside the terminal and realised that that train must have been cancelled. So I ordered another cafe late and worked on updating my blog for the next 2 hours until the next train was due. Finally it arrived and I was on my way again. Two and a half hours later I arrived into Rome's Termini train station. For the next two hours I endeavoured to find how to get to my hostel. After some lunch, and some cash conversion I purchased a metro day pass and headed off to my hostel. As the train stopped from suburb to suburb I watched as all the nice looking people got off one by one. I finally arrived at the station which was at least 20 minutes from the centre of Rome. I hopped onto a bus for the final leg of the journey to the hostel. With big factories in major disrepair and lots of unmown yards etc. it really felt like the slums of Rome. I finally arrived at the hostel, checked in and headed to my room. I pulled out the sheet of paper which I had had to sign when the money got changed and looked over it. After spending some time working it out I realised that they had not charged me 20 Euros and 5 Euros but 20% and five Euros. The total cost to change five hundred Canadian dollars had cost me seventy Euros. Needless to say I was floored, especially considering how tight the budget for Rome and Paris were to begin with. I locked up my gear and headed to the bus stop. Half an hour later I got off the train at Colloseo station and walked out of the station to see my first sight of the Colosseum. It was already five in the afternoon and even though the Colosseum closed at six I decided to head in for a look around. There were no queues so twelve Euros later I was heading up the steps inside the Colosseum. The inside was as good as I had hoped.
With a bit of imagination one could see where the emperor had sat, where nobility had sat and where the common people had sat. I climbed the staircases to the highest open spot in the Colosseum and admired the strength and beauty of the ruins. Finally the stewards came and advised the hoards that it was closing time so I headed down to the next level and wandered around for some time whilst talking to a Canadian guy that I had met. We headed out of the Colosseum and wandered aimlessly down the road checking out the sights as we went. We found the Pantheon but it had already closed. After some time we found a restaurant and sat down for a bite to eat. I had pasta carbonara to try and keep it affordable. After dinner I bid him farewell and headed back to the hostel as I was worried that I might miss the last metro train back.
I felt slightly less confident on this train ride as it was after 11pm and the people seemed a tad seedier. I arrived at the station, walked out and found two police officers and two military guys keeping a look out around the station.
Eventually back at the hostel I changed and headed to bed. The common room/dining room was above my 12 bed room and the seemed to be a constant chorus of scraping chairs. Finally the scraping finished and a few minutes later nine more people teamed into the room. Ahhh. sleep, i think, finally set in. And it was short and sweet as not long later two of the guys started snoring. I found it quite humorous as when the the first guy stopped snoring the second guy would take his place and some times one would snore out and the next would snore out and so on etc. I was really hoping at least one more guy would start snoring so I could hop out of bed and try to conduct a snoring symphony with a huge crescendo! Needless to say sleep was not a thing for me that night.

Posted by classique 02:45 Archived in Italy

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint