A Travellerspoint blog

July 10th

Riding Kananaskis Country

16 °C

Today the alarm rudely awoke me at 5am and after a lot of procrastination I finally got up and ready. I packed a bag with a few essentials including my camera and headed out the door to Kananaskis country. It took about 2.5 hours but I finally arrived in the foot hills of the Rocky Mountains. I was due at Boundary Ranch to go on a horse ride through the foothills. I had been tossing up as to whether I should ride for 2 hours, 3.5 hours or the whole day. In the end I got an invitation to go water skiing in the afternoon so I decided to do the 2 hour ridge ride. I arrived about an hour early as I wished to track down a mountain that I had seen in a picture and after about 20 minutes I still hadn’t found it so I headed back to Boundary Ranch. After checking in I realized that most people present were wearing a cowboy/girl hat and here I was wearing a baseball cap. Oh well… I ended up joining a group of 5 people and climbed aboard my horse whose name was Cash. About 15 minutes into the ride I began to think how much fun this was and what a cruisy job the trail guide had.
Cash turned out to be an absolute laugh. Cash and I were placed about middle of the group which was riding single file and Cash had a major gas problem. From time to time he would squeeze out a little flatulence in between every step and at other times he would just let rip in a big long rip snorting fart. The guys riding behind me started dropping back gradually. Cash let rip again and the horse behind started coughing up a storm. Eventually, one by one, the guys behind me moved past me as they couldn’t stand the smell anymore. NO, IT WAS NOT ME! Many comments came my way and one was “Trail horses aren’t meant to leave a trail like that!” I was laughing my backside off most of the time except of course when he let rip while we were stationary. There were some nice views and lots and lots of pine trees. We had been riding for about 1½ hours and my backside was getting very tender.
I had gone from moving around on the saddle from time to time to standing for long periods of time and stopping. The problem with stopping was that we had to gallop to catch up with the group again which was even more painful then just walking. Needless to say I was absolutely stoked that I had decided to do the 2 hour trail ride and not the 3.5 hour ride or even like the couple I had seen earlier in the day, a whole day riding! As much as I enjoyed it I was extremely thankful when it was all over. When I arrived back into Lacombe it was drizzling on and off so the water skiing was off which was fine with me. My backside needed some tlc!

Posted by classique 11:10 Archived in Canada Tagged family_travel

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.