A Travellerspoint blog

July 22nd & 23rd

The day I exported my backside to the UK

semi-overcast 22 °C

Well... I am thankfull to say that I slept pretty good last night! I think i got to bed about 1 am after a full day of work and spending the rest of the night packing, cleaning and dropping stuff off. I got up at about 7:30am, said goodbye to my flat mate and continued finalizing my packing. I had most things finished by about 11:30am and headed off for lunch at Letto's (i think), a smorgasboard restuarant, for one last lunch with Wim, Hennie, Jan, Mettie, Henriette, William & Christie.
After Lunch I finalized a few things like calling Finlay to confirm the ok to stay in London with him, sent off a couple of postcards and few other bits and pieces. Then it was 3:30pm and time for me to head off. I said goodbye to Wim, Jan, Mettie, Henrietteand William, loaded my bags into Hennies Surburban and we hit the road. I snapped off a pictures of lots of stuff along the way figuring that I would probably want them to reminise over some day down the track. We arrived at the calgary airport in plenty of time and I said my goodbyes to Hennie and Christie. I checked in my bags and after chatting one of the check in ladys for a while I headed through customs. I always find it quicker to unload my gear into the trays for customs then putting it all back into my pockets etc. I went through to boarding and purchased some food and a fruit drink. Eventually we boarded and I took my window seat. It was a smooth flight upon which i still didn't manage to get any sleep. We arrived into London at about 11am. I walked through to customs where I was asked many a question and obviously answered one wrong. I waited for about 1 hour for a border patrol person to interogate me. It was a good time to pray! :-) The guy who brought me through for the process was really quite nice! We collected my bags which were lying on the ground next to the carosels and headed to an area to inspect them. After checking through my bags we headed back to another room where i was fingerprinted and photograhed. Then i was put into a detention room for about another hour as the border control guy called Finlay and a few other people on my schedule of travel. Finally he came and took me through to an official interrogation room and asked me a few more questions. Then after a few more minutes in the detention room I was advised that I was ok to enter the UK. PHEW! Many prayers were answered that day! I stuck around in the airport till about 5:30pm as Finaly wouldn't be home until at least 6:30pm and I had 4 bags with me. I jumped onto the train and headed into london. I changed trains and headed out to Wimbeldon station. When I arrived i turned on my UK mobile phone and tried to reach Finlay. The phone couldn't get signal. I waited in line at a dairy and eventually got 5 pound more credit which still didn't work. I found the pay phone that worked and called Finaly. His phone went to message bank. At 8:30pm I called again and he was on his way to pick me up. We dropped my bags off a home and did a shop. We set up the BBQ and Kate arrived from work at about 9:30pm. We had dinner and a few drinks and discussed experiences and I was stoked to get to bed at 11:30pm.

Posted by classique 14:07 Archived in United Kingdom Tagged round_the_world

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.